.

.

Friday, April 24, 2015

Thank God I'm a country girl....and not afraid of big, big bugs!

How many of you remember John Denver's song, Thank God I'm A Country Boy?  Well, today when I was beating on this big, big, big (8 inches) Texas redheaded centipede that was on my back porch, this song was ringing in my ears.  And I started laughing and kept beating (after having taken a picture to text to my husband, of course)!  Sadly, that centipede is no more.  In case you wonder, these centipedes can not only sting you with the fangs by their heads, but also with their legs.  You can listen to the song first and then you can see my icky bug.




I've been thinking about doing a blog post sharing the creatures that we have had visit us since we've moved out of the city and into the country.  Some are happy and cheerful and fun.  Some are definitely not.  I think I did this on my other blog that was deleted.  It mostly featured bugs, spiders and the like.  We have more than bugs though.  It's always an adventure to see what I run across.  And I am so not a country girl.  Even after almost 4 years.  


16 comments:

  1. Ick, ick, ick! One of the things I disliked about living in Texas was the bugs. They're huge! :) Hope you're not having trouble with scorpions. Those are the worst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen any yet this season, but I'm sure there will be some around before long. It's not quite warm enough yet. The spiders are definitely out and about.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I know. He looked too big to be allowed. LOL

      Delete
  3. Ugh! We are in a valley sort of near the desert, so we get some bugs but surprisingly not much. It's Spring so more bugs than usual-- ants, flies, earwigs, a few bitty random spiders.

    When I lived in FL oh boy, the bug life! Huge palmetto bugs, scorpions (I've been stung twice by them), fire ants, stinging caterpillars, mosquitos, black widow and brown recluse spiders, and throw in non-insect pests....snakes, venomous ones to boot.

    Okay, I am now creeped out...but thanks, Kay, for John Denver reminder. I was a die-hard fan, even though I'm not a country-born gal. I loved his music-- Annie's Song was my first dance wedding song, and my eldest daughter's too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why that song just popped into my head, but there it was. It was too funny not to share. And yes, we have spiders and scorpions (I got stung last year - boy did it hurt) and mosquitos and tarantulas and brown recluse and fire ants and, and, and...this is our life. LOL

      Delete
  4. Ohhhhhh..... shuddddddder.....

    Would you recognize a Brown Recluse Spider, if you saw one? A friend was bitten by one, and spent months, trying to recover. Bad, Bad, Bad....

    -shiver- -brrrrrrr- I've now "got the willies"!!! Eeeeeek!

    -giggggles-

    Stay safe!!!!!!

    Tessa
    Also not a country girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Tessa, I would recognize a brown recluse or hope I would. And, yes, they are big trouble. I had a friend who had the same thing happen. We have pest control here and so we don't have too many inside the house - just the outside. That centipede was sluggish and as the pest people had been here, think he might have been on the way out of this life anyway.

      Delete
  5. Ick! I remember you doing a critters post on your other blog. I'd love to see your pretty, friendly visitors -- you can keep the bugs all to yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'll do one with the pretty things and then the annoying things (feral hogs) and then the bugs. It might be a long post. LOL

      Delete
  6. You can keep your centipede, Kay, and I'll keep my lizards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spoiled sport! You've got some icky critters where you live too. I know this. LOL

      Delete
  7. At least it was outside. If they are outside, they can stay. Inside, they are in trouble. My cats "point" like hunting dogs if we have undesirables in the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm hoping that the scorpions stay outside this year.

      Delete
  8. Yuck, yuck, yuck! I will never be a country girl just for the bugs alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I was going to send Gage an assortment of bugs. LOL

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!