.

.

Monday, May 11, 2015

House of Many Shadows by Barbara Michaels

Oh, how I enjoyed rereading this old favorite of mine.  House of Many Shadows was written by Barbara Michaels aka Elizabeth Peters aka Barbara Mertz in 1974.  I couldn't remember when I had last read this book, but I know I read it for the first time soon after it was published.  And I decided to reread it  when Katherine of I Wish I Lived In A Library told me it was her favorite go-to book when she was in a reading slump.

First, a little about Barbara Michaels.  She was actually Barbara Mertz, a highly educated woman with a PhD in Egyptology from the Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago.  She received that doctorate in 1952.  I suspect there were few other women receiving that same degree at that time.  She married and had two children, Elizabeth and Peter.  She wrote 30 books under the name Barbara Michaels.  These are more thriller type books, many with a supernatural element.  Her pseudonym of Elizabeth Peters had 38 mystery suspense books published.  And Dr. Mertz wrote nonfiction on archaeology.  She said she found the various personas irritating, but her publishers at the time wanted to distinguish between the types of books.  Barbara Mertz died in 2013.

House of Many Shadows falls into the category of romantic suspense, with a bit of the supernatural thrown in for good measure.  It's set in the Pennsylvania Dutch country.  Meg Rittenhouse has been ill and her distant cousin, Sylvia, has a big house full of antiques that she needs someone to organize and catalog.  Sylvia agrees to have Meg spend some time there in order to recover from her head injury, which has produced hallucinations, both visual and audio.  There is also a caretaker on the property, Andy Brenner.  Andy is Sylvia's stepson and he has also had some challenges.  Andy and Meg had known each other as children when Meg visited Sylvia and her husband, George, and Andy made Meg's life a trial.  Little boys and little girls - one teasing and tormenting the other.  That's what Meg remembers about Andy.

As the story develops, Meg starts working on her furniture challenge and all goes well for a bit.  Then she starts seeing things - ghostly things.  Actually, it only happens when she and Andy are together.  She's worried that she isn't recovering from her head injury, but soon finds out that Andy is seeing the same 'ghosts'.  And so begins their quest to find out what has happened at this location in years past.  There are some answers in the attic and some in the town.  However, there is also someone who has a grudge against both Meg and Andy and that person isn't going away.  Someone has died in this location and if they can't figure out the puzzle, another crime may be committed soon.

The story is a little dated, of course.  However, the humor was still present.  The banter between Meg and Andy was still fun.  The apparitions were still spooky, and I had a great time reacquainting myself with all the twists and turns.  I'm very glad I decided on a reread and now, I'm thinking of rereading more of this author's works.  Should I read Search the Shadows, set at the Oriental Institute in Chicago soon?  Or should I read The Crying Child, set on an island off the coast of Maine?  Have an opinion?  Well, we'll see what appeals to me next.

24 comments:

  1. I am not familiar with this author. It is interesting that she was not happy with using multiple names for herself. It's great that you enjoyed your re-read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a talented writer, Pat. I'm very happy to sing her praises and even though many of her books were written long ago, they are fun reads.

      Delete
  2. Yummmmmy! Want to read this one. After all, you steered me well, with another older book suggestion.

    Have I said, that I am so happy to have found your blog? Well, I say it now!!! Your suggestions are treasures.

    Hugs, hugs, hugs,
    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tessa, this one has more 'ghosties'. Just so you know. And you are so sweet. I'm enjoying talking about the new and the old - reads I mean. LOL

      Delete
  3. And your Banner photo, is 'arrestingly' beautiful....

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) She had so many stories in her! And nonfiction as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - the nonfiction. Makes sense though. She was a professional archaeologist.

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you enjoyed it this time around though it definitely is a bit dated! I didn't know much about Barbara Michaels/Mertz though I did know about the doctorate in Egyptology. I didn't realize she had received in 1952. I agree that she must have been somewhat of a pioneer. My vote is for The Crying Child but you can't go wrong with Search the Shadows! Have you read the one with the jewelry store? Can't remember the name off the top of my head but it's a favorite. Okay, they're all favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was leaning toward The Crying Child. That will likely be the next one. It's been a really long time for that one. And the jewelry store book - Into the Darkness - I think. Yes, just went and looked. Oh, I bet I haven't reread that one for 15 years or maybe ever. Putting it on the list. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. I haven't read anything by this author under any of her names (not that I remember, anyway). She was quite prolific, wasn't she? And smart. I have always been curious about the mysteries she wrote as Elizabeth Peters (and now I know where the name comes from!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she was prolific. I think that I am a bit nostalgic about some of these authors as many are already gone or, if not, quite elderly. It's sad and makes me want to go back reread even more. :-)

      Delete
  7. I thought this looked familiar so I checked my blog. Sure enough, I read and really liked this one in 2009. My review said I would read another by the author, but here I am 6 years later and haven't managed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to go look at your review, Stacy. One day you'll get around to another.

      Delete
  8. I haven't read anything by this author but I have seen her books around under the name Elizabeth Peters. Thanks for sharing some info about her; she was definitely a prolific author and like Wendy, now I know where her name comes from. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was prolific. And I didn't know that about her Elizabeth Peters persona either.

      Delete
  9. I must have read that in the 70's. My type of book back then. It sounds a little familiar. The Crying Child sounds gooooood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Crying Child is definitely another 'ghost' story.

      Delete
  10. Oh it's been forever since I've read a Barbara Michael's book. I read several way back and just such good suspense. I have also read some of her Elizabeth Peters books and thought those were fun too! Can't wait to see which one you'll end up reading next :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see. I want to read a few other things first, but I'll definitely get back to her soon.

      Delete
  11. Elizabeth Peters/Barbara Michaels - one of my favourite authors! Although I've read more Elizabeth Peters books than Barbara Michaels books. My favourite is probably Devil May Care, which she wrote under Elizabeth Peters. It's one of my comfort reads in audio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really enjoying hearing about other books by this author that people love. I've read Devil May Care, but wow, a long time ago. Will have to go back and try it again. On audio. :-)

      Delete
  12. I hoard Barbara Michael's books :). Whenever. I find them in a used bookstore I cannot seem to stop myself from buying them. I like the sound of this one. I would add it to my TBR list but all of her books are there at this point. Ha! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know another Barbara Michaels fan, Samantha!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!