.

.

Monday, August 10, 2015

Open Road Media and finding some old favorites...

I've shared how much I love looking back at favorite books I've read in the past and sometimes rereading them to see if I still love them as much.  However, this is a difficult proposition at times because...well...I'm not in my 20's or 30's or even 40's anymore.  The books I read at those stages may not be available at bookstores or libraries and may even be out of print.  Or I might find that copies are very few and far between.  They may have been weeded from library collections and even if they can be found at used bookstores, they might be prohibitively expensive.  Scarcity and well-loved books may mean prices go up, up, up.




That's why I'm happy to tell you about a publisher I've found that is sharing backlists, classic books, and books that have been out of print with a new generation in the form of e-books.  Open Road Media is their name, and I've found that they are digitizing some of my old favorites.  I know not everyone loves e-books, but I think it's great to make older books available in this format.  There are many reasons why I love my e-reader, but one is that I can make the font larger and copies of books published in years past often had really small print.  I know that some of you understand what I'm saying!

I was delighted to find books by Lawrence Sanders, Robert R. McCammon, William Bernhardt, Barbara Vine/Ruth Rendell, Donald E. Westlake, Patricia Wentworth, Jane Haddam, Jane Langton, and some early Anne Perry.  Also, there were juvenile fiction authors that included Betty Ren Wright, Caroline B. Cooney, Lois Duncan and Robin McKinley.  You may not be familiar with these authors, but although many were midlist authors, they had legions of fans.

  

I was most delighted recently to see that Barbara Parker's series featuring lawyer Gail Connor was available.  The first book is Suspicion of Innocence.  I loved this series, which had 6 books, I believe.  Barbara Parker died in 2009.  I look forward to reading these books again.



I also found a much loved book that I first read in my late teens, I think.  It's Marlys Millhiser's time-travel novel, The Mirror.  In this one, Shay Garrett finds herself back in time after looking in the mirror that belonged to her grandmother, Brandy.  In fact, Shay is in Brandy's body and Brandy is in Shay's.  I actually have a print copy of The Mirror, but I'm thrilled to have it as an e-book.



Lastly, I noticed that a book that I've looked at time and time again over the years has recently been made available.  It's The Eight by Katherine Neville.  This book concerns an ancient chess set and the women who are on a quest to reunite all the pieces.  I had been told years ago that I should read this book and now, I plan to.  

So, take a look at Open Road Media's website here.  They often share their new publications on Netgalley.  You might find just that treasure that you've been missing all these years.     

20 comments:

  1. I read The Mirror several years ago and thought it was very good. I was going to add it to my endcap in order to hand-sell to customers, but couldn't get copies ordered into the store. Glad to see it's available as an e-book!

    Love your header, my dear. Such a beautiful place in our world, isn't it? We've been home a week and I'm really missing that coastline!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, thanks about the header picture. Yes, I knew you'd recognize the place. Think I took this at the Heceta Head Lighthouse. Up on the bluff. Such a gorgeous place.

      And I was excited to see The Mirror available as an e-book. I really hate to see some of these great old books go completely out of print.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this, I'll be bookmarking that site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have all types of books, so hope you find something that speaks to you or an old favorite!

      Delete
  3. Open Road Media is a great source for interesting literary pieces, whether it is via audio or print. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely will. Love finding an old favorite.

      Delete
  4. I like Open Road Media too. Since I am reading more and more e-books, it's nice to have the digital copies, especially of older books, come available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I really hate to see these great stories go out of print completely. They should be available for another generation.

      Delete
  5. I'm a huge fan of Open Road media! Love being able to find so many oldies there... they've published a lot of Pearl S. Buck and Barbara Pym in the past few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. We all have our favorites that they are bringing back.

      Delete
  6. I was very excited when I saw they were republishing Wentworth's Miss Silver novels and they're some of my favorite mysteries. I think she's incredibly under appreciated and I'm excited to be able to finally get my hands on some of her more hard to find books..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful. So glad you've been able to find some well-loved books too!

      Delete
  7. I didn't know about this so thanks so much for highlighting it, Kay! I've to admit I'm not a huge fan of e-books but I'm slowly getting used to them. ;) Plus, it's always a good thing to find older releases or out-of-print books out again, even if they are in digital form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's what I think. I know that e-books are not to everyone's taste, but they sure do make life easier in some ways. :-)

      Delete
  8. How wonderful! There are a few books lately that I've been looking for and can't find because they are out of print. This is a great service to help with that problem. Thanks for the heads-up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very happy about it too. I keep checking now and then to see what they have published that's 'new'.

      Delete
  9. I haven't heard of Open Road but I love the idea of publishers going back to backlist books and making them available electronically. It's frustrating to want to read something older and having a hard time finding a copy. I loved Lois Duncan way back in the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've experience that frustration. And I loved Lois Duncan's book too. My daughter read them when she was in her early teens.

      Delete
  10. What a great idea! I'm off to check them out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!