.

.

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Bookish Nostalgia - September 2015



So how do you feel about September?  Personally, I like it.  It's not the beginning of school in my part of the country anymore, but it does contain my birthday (and no, I won't tell you when) and it was the month that my darling daughter was born.  As it also holds my husband's mother's birthday, he feels that September is always a very expensive month!  But, we were talking about reading, right?  Let me share the books that I remember best from past Septembers - 1995, 2000, 2005, and 2010.  Here we go:




September 1995 - Coming Home by Rosamunde Pilcher - This is a really, really long book.  It comes in at almost 1,000 pages.  And it took me most of the month of September 1995 to read it.  About 3 weeks.  I remember loving Coming Home.  Set in the years before and after WWII, it's the story of Judith Dunbar and her life.  It's a real family saga.  If you've never read a book by Rosamunde Pilcher, you should.  Lovely books.  I think there was a TV adaptation of this one, but I've not seen it.  If you have, tell us about it.



September 2000 - Aunt Dimity's Death by Nancy Atherton - This is the first book in the Aunt Dimity series, which is now up to 20 books.  Wow.  It was published in 1992, but I didn't get around to it until 2000.  Have you read anything about Aunt Dimity?  Well, Lori Shepherd learns that she has inherited a large estate from Miss Dimity Westwood.  Lori is shocked.  She knows Aunt Dimity, but she thought Dimity was a fictional character that her mother created for bedtime stories.  As Lori follows the instructions she receives, she finds that Aunt Dimity was real and she also finds that Aunt Dimity is now a ghost.  Communications are received in a very special way, which I'll leave you to discover for yourself.  This is a fun book - part mystery, part ghost story, part fairy tale.  Highly recommended.



September 2005 - To Davy Jones Below by Carola Dunn - Last month's Bookish Nostalgia contained the first book in the Daisy Dalrymple series, Death At Wentwater Court.  I shared at that time that I read all the books available one right after the other.  Well, September of 2005 contained exactly one author, Carola Dunn.  To Davy Jones Below is the 9th book in the series.  I read 11 Daisy books that month.  I remember this one so well as Daisy is on her honeymoon and it takes place on a ship.  I love mysteries set on ocean voyages.  Myself, never been on one, get seasick on a boat tied up at the dock.  Sort of like Daisy's new husband, Detective Chief Inspector Alec Fletcher.  If you haven't read a Daisy Dalrymple book, what are you waiting for??



September 2010 - Fragile by Lisa Unger - I had a bit of hard time picking a favorite for this month.  I read I'd Know You Anywhere by Laura Lippman - loved it.  I read South of Broad by Pat Conroy and discussed it with a book group.  I read Stiltsville by Susanna Daniel - set on the stilt houses in Florida.  Finally, I decided that really, I loved Fragile best.  This is the first book in her very loosely connected (as in the setting and a few characters) series.  The location is The Hollows, a town in upstate New York.  Maggie Cooper is a psychiatrist and her husband, Jones, is a policeman.  When their son Rick's girlfriend goes missing, it brings all sort of feelings to the surface and reminds everyone of another missing girl, 20 years ago.  Just the name of the town, The Hollows, sounds creepy to me.  Right?  Lots of secrets in the woods.

Well, that's it for this month.  Join me again in October when I take a look back at my reading journals.

*****And I will be back in October.  Promise.***** 

12 comments:

  1. Hey!!! :-))) I thought you were taking a break!!!! :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this one in 2010 as well. According to my review, I found it disturbing, but I still had to know what happened. And guess who commented on the review? You did :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By "this," I mean FRAGILE. Gah! I don't think I'm fully awake yet ...

      Delete
  3. I enjoy reading your blog very much and always find good book recommendations, so I'll miss you blogging. Hope you get you health straightened out, I know that when I'm not well that colors my whole life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like September is still too hot, but gives me hope for cooler weather! I haven't read any of the books listed but have read other Daisy Dalrymple and like them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm adding the Aunt Dimity books to my list! I've read a couple by Lisa Unger, but not Fragile, so I'll have to check that one out.

    I want September to be cooler, but it rarely is around here. It does, however, mean that cooler is coming, and I appreciate that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love September to bits. It's already very autumnal here in the UK, cooler and with the evenings drawing in.

    I can just imagine you devouring Daisy Dalrymple books all through Sept. 2005. I love that series and did a similar thing at one stage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Back when my eyes were better, I could read Rosamund Pilcher and like you, I think she is very good! (I also read many books by James Michener, maybe that is the cause of my eye strain!!)
    I like September too, it is the beginning of the end of our hot hot weather in Georgia!
    OH! And Pat Conroy wrote a cookbook years ago, and it had wonderful remembrances in there also...I thought it was a very funny book WITH recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy September Birthday!!!! I really like these posts and should shamelessly steal the idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like September too. Although maybe not as much as I used to. It's my birthday month too. :-) I love your posts featuring past reads. :-) I want to try Lisa Unger.

    Enjoy your month and Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never read Rosamunde Pilcher. Coming Home sounds like a good read. And happy birthday month!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like these Bookish Nostalgia posts. It makes me wish I'd kept a written list of all the books (and dates) I'd read. I'm also a Rosamund Pilcher fan. I reread Coming Home not too long ago. It is a huge book but I guess I just wanted to relive my good old Pilcher reading days. You are right about there being a movie version of the book. Our local library has a copy. I couldn't tell if it was a made-for-TV movie or just a regular movie.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!