.

.

Monday, February 8, 2016

In which the mystery group learns about PTSD and K-9 companions in Suspect...

Last Wednesday evening was our regular night for mystery book group - always a fun time for me.  I love meeting with these people, mystery lovers each and every one.  We talk about what we've read for our group and then we talk about what else we've read and then we talk about what we've watched and sometimes, we even eat a bit  Or maybe more than a bit.  We eat only 4 times a year though.  Next time for potluck is March - yum!

Our book for this month was Suspect by Robert Crais, an author that I had not read before.  I chose this one because a couple of members in our group sang the praises of the book and author at prior meetings and, happily, the library had enough copies.  (Always a challenge.)  We were a few people short - illnesses are still around, but we had a good group to share thoughts.

Suspect tells the story of Scott, a LAPD officer who has PTSD after his partner is killed in the line of duty, and Maggie, a German Shepherd who lost her partner in Afghanistan.  She also has PTSD.  Both are damaged.  Both are missing their partners.  Both really need each other.  Scott, who was also shot at the same time his partner Stephanie was gunned down, has been offered a medical retirement from the police, but he declines.  He asks to be transferred to a K-9 unit.  Maggie, also injured in the bombing that killed her partner Pete, a Marine, is considered 'not suitable' for the police or really for a family to adopt.  However, this is their story, Scott's and Maggie's.  It's how they learn to trust each other and how they investigate what actually happened the night that Stephanie died.

First let me say that I am not really a dog person.  I don't dislike dogs, but I've also never been particularly interested in them.  I like cats.  That being disclosed, I thought this book was wonderful.  I thoroughly enjoyed the mystery and also the poignant dance that brought Scott and Maggie together.  And I recommend this book highly.

Suspect was pretty much loved by our entire group.  Not by every single one, but most.  Several had read the book quite some time back, as it was published in 2013, and so had to either reread it or remind themselves of the other aspects besides Scott and Maggie's story.  A couple of members felt that there was too much going on, too many offshoots of the main crime, and one member felt the author was repetitious in his writing.  I had shared with the group that Crais began in Hollywood as a scriptwriter for such TV shows as Hill Street Blues (he won an Emmy), Cagney & Lacey, and Miami Vice.  This member said that made sense because that's kind of how she saw the book, as screenshots of a TV episode.

Several of our members are dog lovers deluxe.  One member said she was currently taking her dog to training as a possible 'therapy dog' and we asked several questions about that.  Robert Crais has spent a lot of time with the LAPD K-9 officers, watching them train vigorously.  He is very impressed with the dedication of both the human officers and the dog officers.  Another member reminded us that the dogs used by the military in war are really 'soldiers' and are considered such by other soldiers.

We agreed that we are glad we read this one and also talked about Crais' recent book, The Promise, which is a Elvis Cole/Joe Pike book (his regular series), but also includes Scott and Maggie.  Plus, Mr. Crais has vowed that there will be more Scott and Maggie books in the future.  And we are all pleased about that.

Next month, we'll be discussing Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes.

23 comments:

  1. Funny, I've never read Crais, but his name has come up twice recently. The book sounds very good, and I think I'd like to investigate this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several members of my group really love Crais' books. I need to try another one myself.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a great group... too bad it's only quarterly. And I won't hold it against you that you're not a 'dog person' ;-) Have a great week, Kay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the quarterly part is the 'eating'. Otherwise, we are a monthly group. First Wednesday of each month.

      Delete
  3. I have read one Crais book, the first in his series, which I enjoyed (although he'll be the first to tell you his later books are better). I haven't read this one, but it does sound good. I'm especially interested in the PTSD tie-in. As you know, I love dogs and so am sure I will like Maggie. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, I think you would definitely like this one.

      Delete
  4. When I worked on an army base (civilian contractor) I worked with the MP K9 unit quite a bit and the relationship between the officer and the dog was always absolutely fascinating. I haven't read anything by Crais though of course I've heard of him and this sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, this is a really good story. Love the developing relationship between Scott and Maggie.

      Delete
  5. I have this book and want to read it. It sounds good. I did read the first two books in the Elvis Cole/Joe Pike series so I think I would like this one too. I am now a confirmed cat person, but we had a dog (two different ones) for the first 15 years of our marriage, so I would enjoy reading about that part of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first Crais book I have read and I liked it a lot. I keep thinking I need to try the Elvis/Joe series as well. And we are now pet-less after many years of cats.

      Delete
  6. I have not read this author, but am intrigued by the title. Hope your group likes Into The Darkest Corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It a good one, Nise'. I'm hoping they like Into The Darkest Corner too. I'm listening to it again (listened to it last year) and I had forgotten that it's a little graphic sex-wise. We'll see.

      Delete
  7. I have had this author on my TBR list as well! Sounds like I need to check this series out! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is a standalone, at least for now. There will likely be more Scott/Maggie books in the future.

      Delete
  8. My husband has read several of Robert Crais' books, but I've yet to give them a try. Is this a stand-alone? As you know I love dogs, so this might be something I'd like to read. I just don't want to start another series (or jump into the middle of one) right now since I've got so many to catch-up on. Speaking of which, I just started listening to The House at Seas End and am so enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les, I think you'd like this one. Maggie is great. And Scott's experience with her is wonderful. Plus, this was meant to be a standalone, but the author loves the characters. There will be more with these characters, but you could consider this book #1. Happily. :-)

      Delete
    2. Oh and yay for The House At Seas End. I liked that one.

      Delete
  9. The dog and human sound equally compelling! I can understand why this book would be a hit with the reading group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was certainly a big hit. So many people are fond of their canine companions these days. This group loves to have dog characters.

      Delete
  10. I can't believe my group has not read any Robert Crais or at least not since I've been a part of the group. I've read one of the Pike books and that was entertaining. This one sounds really good and although I've never had a dog I think I would love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet your group would like this one, Iliana. I can recommend it.

      Delete
  11. I read, loved and reviewed this book about a year or so ago. I am a dog person, really an any animal person, though (whispering this here so family can't hear) the dogs are just so much more work now that I'm a bit older, and my cats are so easy. But the cats are "mine" and the dogs are my other family members' choices, so it is what it is.

    Glad you enjoyed this story! I hope there is another one with the same MC and dog. I hadn't read any of Crais' books before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita, you might try THE PROMISE because Scott and Maggie appear there. Crais says that there will be more books with them.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!