.

.

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Left Coast Crime - 2016 - The Panels - fun, funny, touching and informative....



Welcome to my 2nd post about Left Coast Crime 2016!  Today, we're going to talk about panels.  This year, there were 13 specific panel times beginning Thursday afternoon and ending Sunday at noon.  Each of those times had an assortment of panels available and we could choose which we'd like to attend.  They were all an hour in length and then the participants came out into the atrium area to sign books and talk with fans.  I managed to get to 11 different panels and got pictures at 10 of them.  I'll list the panel title and share the moderator (M) and participants with links attached.  They will be in the order of the picture above the info.  If I don't talk about every author - well, doesn't mean I'm not interested but this post will be very long regardless.  Here's the scoop:

1. Setting as Character

Jeffrey M Siger (M); Shannon Baker; Christine Carbo; Sara J. Henry; S.K. Rizzolo; Dana Stabenow

I did not get a picture of the participants of my first panel.  Honestly, Cathy and I had been finishing up our lunch when we discovered we were late (horrors!).  We jumped and ran.  I squeezed into a seat in the middle of a row, was fascinated with glimpsing the authors, did not take a picture, and remember exactly nothing about what they said.  Bad Kay.  In my defense, I was still recovering from the Author Speed Dating event Thursday morning - more about that on Thursday.



2.  Big Fish in a Small Pond:  Big-city sleuths tackle small-town murder

Dana Stabenow (M); M.P. (Martha) Cooley; Frederick Ramsay; Robin (R.J.) Harlick

As this panel was short one member, Dana Stabenow prevailed upon Laurie R. King, who was in the audience, to complete their number.  Which was fun.  I had thought that I would take notes at the panels and even got a special little notebook for that purpose.  However, I found that I just wanted to sit and listen.  Loved it.  I was able to talk with Martha Cooley afterwards and tell her how much I enjoyed her first book, Ice Shear, which I wrote about here.  I also bought a book by both Robin Harlick and Fred Ramsay.



3.  Traditional:  The Space Between Cozy and Thriller: What defines a traditional mystery?

Terry Shames; Triss Stein; Nancy G. West; Carla Buckley; Catriona McPherson (M)

I wanted to see Carla Buckley especially on this panel and talk to her afterward.  I also visited with Terry Shames, who writes the Samuel Craddock series that is set in my part of the world, Central Texas.  And the minute that Nancy West started speaking I knew she was from Texas as well.  Her series is set in San Antonio and Aggie Mundeen is the protagonist.  Triss Stein's Brooklyn based series is published by the Poisoned Pen and I'm excited about reading the first book, Brooklyn Bones.



4.  Genre Hopping:  Authors writing multiple genres

Clea Simon; Annette Mahon; Mette Ivie Harrison; Chris Goff; Ann Cleeves (M)

Cathy and I were most delighted to shake hands with Ann Cleeves as she met everyone at the door and welcomed them.  Cathy was the 'fangirl' that time.  This panel had some very touching moments as the authors shared some personal things that have affected their writing.  I was really caught up in their discussion and was glad I attended.  Clea Simon writes books that all have cats included, but her latest, The Ninth Life, is a bit darker than previous books.  Annette Mahon's books include quilts and that lovely quilt in the picture was one she made and it's featured on the cover of her latest, Slay Bells.  Mette Ivie Harrison is the author of The Bishop's Wife and her protagonist is the wife of a Mormon bishop.  Mette herself has a PhD, 5 children, and is a highly ranked triathlete.  Her life with her church after publishing her first adult book has been complicated.  I enjoyed chatting with her after the panel.  Chris Goff has a birdwatching mystery series, but her latest, Dark Waters, is a thriller set in Israel.  And the lady in white talking to Clea is Cathy Ace, a lovely Canadian author.



5.  Cherchez La Femme, Women Overturning the Stereotype:  Strong female sleuths as role models

Francine Mathews/Stephanie Barron (M); Allison Brennan; Mark Coggins; Deborah Crombie; Tammy Kaehler

This was a most interesting panel and even the participants were a bit flummoxed by Moderator Francine Mathews' questions.  Mathews, who writes spy type thrillers under that name and Jane Austen mysteries under her Stephanie Barron persona, used to be an analyst with the CIA.  So....there you go.  I enjoyed listening to Deborah Crombie talk about Gemma James and Duncan Kincaid.  Her books are great favorites of mine.  Tammy Kaehler writes a Poisoned Pen series about a female race car driver - fun!



6.  Historical:  Turn of the 20th Century

Ann Parker (M); Charles Todd; Tessa Arlen; Annamaria Alfieri; Donis Casey

All of these authors write series set in the early 20th century.  I'm a big fan of Donis Casey's Alafair Tucker books.  Moderator Ann Parker writes a series set in Leadville, Colorado of the 1880's.  It's another Poisoned Pen series and I got the first book, Silver Lies.  Can't wait.  I talked to Tessa Arlen, the daughter of a British diplomat, about how popular her first book, Death of a Dishonorable Gentleman, was around the blogging world.  She was delighted.  The discussion pointed out how history cycles occur and these authors have found so many similarities to situations today, while they were researching events of the past.



This was how the signing area was set up and the picture shows both Caroline and Charles Todd, who team write the Charles Todd books featuring Ian Rutledge in one series and Bess Crawford in another.



7. Two Sleuths are Better Than One:  Fictional crime-solving duos

Rochelle Staab (M); Laurie R. King; Anne Cleeland; Mary Anna Evans; Tina Whittle; Michael Robertson

Each of these authors have protagonists that are either married, related in some way, or in a romantic relationship and it was interesting to hear them talk about pitfalls and comments by fans and how they decided to write their books featuring at least 2 regular sleuths.  Laurie King's Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes books are probably the most familiar.  However, Michael Robertson writes the Baker Street Letters mysteries, which have a Holmes connection.  I've read several really positive thoughts about Anne Cleeland's books around the blogs.  And both Mary Anna Evans and Tina Whittle are published by the Poisoned Pen.  Thumbs up in my thinking.



8.  Sleuthing on Both Sides of the Law:  Bending society's rules to solve crimes

Lori Rader-Day (M); Agnete Friis; Mette Ivie Harrison; Alan Russell; Carla Buckley

Lori Rader-Day was a very funny moderator - very dry humor.  She was a natural at her moderator job.  Her two books are The Black Hour and Little Pretty Things, both stand alones and multiple award winners or nominees.  Agnete Friis writes the Nina Borg series with writing partner Lene Kaaberbol and they are Danish.  Alan Russell writes a series with a LAPD officer and his police dog, but his latest book, A Cold War, is about a woman who has been captured by a mountain man in Alaska.  Each of these authors has protagonists who have to decide whether to step outside of the law or expectations of their peers in order to 'do the right thing'.  Lots of food for thought.



9.  The Thriller of It All

Sarah Williams (M); Chevy Stevens; Michael Sears; Ingrid Thoft; Mark Wheaton

All of you know that I love thrillers, so this panel was sort of a given for me.  Plus, Michael Sears and Chevy Stevens were panelists - have loved books by both of them.  Michael Sears' first book, Black Fridays was a favorite with my mystery group - great discussion.  Ingrid Thoft writes about Fina Ludlow, who is a PI for her family's law firm.  And I've heard very good things.  Mark Wheaton is a screenwriter, comics writer, and has a new book, Fields of Wrath, that features a young priest sleuth in Los Angeles.



10.  Writing Other Cultures

Paty Jager (M); Timothy Hallinan; Shannon Baker; William Kent Krueger; Jeffrey M. Siger

Each of these authors writes a series set among another culture, be it in an area outside the US or inside the US.  Tim Hallinan writes the Poke Rafferty books, set in Thailand.  Hallinan has lived in Thailand part-time for many years.  Jeffrey Siger, also published by the Poisoned Pen, lives mostly in Greece and his series is set there.  His protagonist is Andreas Kaldis and so he not only writes books set in foreign country, his main character is Greek as well.  Siger's books are very popular in Greece.  Shannon Baker writes a series that features aspects of the Hopi tribe, though her protagonist Nora Abbott is not Native American.  Her new book, Stripped Bare, is the first in another series and set in the Nebraska Sandhills.  I look forward to that one, to be published in September.  Of course, William Kent Krueger writes about Cork O'Connor, who lives in Minnesota and is one-quarter Objibwe and three-quarters Irish.  This was a very lively panel that kept us laughing.



11.  Murder in the Great Outdoors

Maegan Beaumont (M); Vicki Delany (Eva Gates); Ellie Alexander (Kate Dyer-Seeley); Chris Goff

The very last panel  and it was a good one.  Vicki Delany's Molly Smith series, set in British Columbia, is a great favorite of mine.  I had the chance to talk with Vicki several times over the course of the conference.  She's also started writing cozies under the name Eva Gates.  Her Lighthouse Library mysteries look like a lot of fun.  Ellie Alexander writes the Bakeshop mysteries, but she also writes a Pacific Northwest cozy series under the name Kate Dyer-Seeley.  I really enjoyed talking with her about Portland and Oregon outdoors.  Can't wait to read the first book, Scene of the Climb.  Chris Goff's birdwatching mysteries are found with Christine Goff as the author.  She lives in Colorado and had funny stories to tell about researching those books.

-----------------------------------------

I know this post has been forever long.  Sorry about that.  Tomorrow, I'll quickly share the books that came home with me.  Some I bought, some I won, some I found in my book bag.  All look great!

42 comments:

  1. Now listen here, missy-- stop apologizing for the length of your LCC posts, ya hear?! I'm really enjoying every word, and I was there!

    My first LCC post goes up tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, OK, I'll stop. When I finished this one I really couldn't believe how many panels we made it to. And we skipped 2. We were awesome, right?

      Delete
    2. Yes, we were. And folks? We didn't attend all the same ones!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful, just wonderful. No apologies needed for the length of this post... I'm living vicariously through every word and have written down 'Christine Goff' to investigate as I like the sound of her birdwatching series. When I have a bit more time I'll look into a few of the other authors you've mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know that I'm presenting a 'birds-eye' view for everyone. That's what I meant to do. :-)

      Delete
  3. I am also making lists, and envying you :) Some familiar & favorite names here, like Deborah Crombie, but many new ones as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad that you are making lists, Lisa. That's what I wanted everyone to do.

      Delete
  4. I agree with the others. No need to apologize for the length of this post! It looks & sounds like you had a fabulous time at these sessions!! I can't get over how many authors you got to hear and meet. I think I'd be overwhelmed with all the information, but maybe not. I sure don't read as many mystery authors as you. The only names familiar to me (from my personal reading) are William Kent Kreuger, Debbie Crombie, Charles Todd, Laurie King and Chevy Stevens. I've heard of several others, but these are the only ones I've actually read.

    I'm so happy you got to do this, Kay!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a blast, Les. Truly. It was definitely intense and I was tired pretty much all last week, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

      Delete
    2. I'm trying to figure out how to bring more mystery conventions to Phoenix in February....

      Delete
  5. I love the topics and dearly wish I could have heard the discussions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were quite interesting and sometimes took turns that were unexpected.

      Delete
  6. Absolutely no need to apologize for the length of these posts! These panels all sound so interesting... not sure how you managed to fit them all in and absorb everything. Can't wait to see all the books ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure I absorbed so much. I really thought I'd have my little notebook and be busily taking notes and then...I just wanted to listen and not miss a thing.

      Delete
  7. What fun! I know that feeling of rushing to see authors and (at times) having to choose between equally interesting events.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm sure you do. I understand that lots of the library events and BEA are just as busy.

      Delete
  8. Yes, great posts! And I am glad you got all those pictures. Nice to see the authors-faces to names. Triathelete, 5 kids and a PhD? People that don't sleep as I suspected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gayle, you see why I didn't pass all the pictures around the other night. I felt like I talked so fast, but there was so much to tell.

      Delete
  9. The panels are my favorite part of the L.A. Times Festival of Books, but I haven't been able to go to one in over five years. The mystery panels are always the best. Mystery readers and writers are the best. I loved reading about your experience with the panels. The title of your post is very fitting from the sounds of it. The authors' list of who attended made me drool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. They made me drool too, Wendy. That's why I was poring over the panels lists, yellow marker in hand to choose the ones that appealed most.

      Delete
  10. So many of my favorite authors I don't even know where to start! I love Dana Stabenow and Laura R King. I like Triss Stein though the latest book wasn't my favorite. This sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was and if you ever get a chance to attend, do it. Lots of fun. And lots of cozy authors too. So many that I can see that I need to pick up cozies now and then since I haven't read many of them for a while now.

      Delete
  11. I'm living vicariously through your posts about this convention, so keep it coming, the longer the better. I've read half or more of these listed authors.

    Sara J. Henry doesn't get the attention she deserves. I've read her first two books and am waiting for her third.
    I've read and enjoyed: Chevy Stevens, Carla Buckley, Vicki Delany, Lori Rader-Day, Allison Brennan, Deborah Crombie, Anne Cleeves, Triss Stein... can you see which genre I live for, lol!

    I am now going to seek out Dana Stabenow and Catriona McPherson asap! Thank you for writing and sharing all this, Kay. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita, you and I are in agreement about so much of what you said here. It was fun and overwhelming, but perfect for a mystery lover. I'd go again in a heartbeat.

      Delete
  12. Goodness me, Kay, what a lot of information to absorb - you must have left the convention feeling quite dizzy, not to mention euphoric! All of these authors are new to me. Perhaps Jane Austin mysteries would be a good place for a Brit to start?!!
    Miss Cellany.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops - that is, if I could spell her name properly. Sorry Miss Austen!

      Delete
    2. I think those Jane Austen mysteries would be a good place to begin indeed. Good luck!

      Delete
  13. wow, I had to change browser to finally have the comment form show up!! insane, it happens for so many blogs using blogspot.
    Anyway, I meant to say, I would love to go to that type of event, and Laurie King is fantastic.
    But I cannot complain, as BEA is finally coming to Chicago this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I heard that BEA will be in Chicago. How fun for all of you guys. Enjoy it!

      Delete
  14. I love reading your long post, Kay! It sounds like a wonderful event and of course a long post is necessary! :-) Now if only I could attend!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Please don't apologize, it is so much fun to read about the conference. Some of the authors you got to see are faves of mine so I was excited to hear about your experience meeting them and/or hearing them speak. Now can't wait to see the goodies you got!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a lot to say so it did take a while, but I'm glad I got it down. Now there will be record. LOL

      Delete
  16. JEALOUS!!! (but excited for you!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, I am impressed that you got to attend most of the panels. To me, that's the best part of a book convention. That's where I would hang out too. Thanks for sharing about all these panels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just sat there and listened and absorbed all the fun.

      Delete
  18. Sorry to be so late to comment. What an overwhelming experience and so many authors to learn about. It is good to put faces to some authors I have heard of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, don't even worry about commenting late. I really wanted to do this so that I could have a record for myself. I know I'm going to forget many of these names and faces.

      Delete
  19. This was such a great conference. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!