.

.

Monday, June 19, 2017

Little Black Lies - Sharon Bolton

Little Black Lies by Sharon Bolton


First Paragraph:

I believe just about anyone can kill in the right circumstances, given enough motivation.  The question is, am I there yet?  I think I must be.  Because lately, it seems, I've been thinking of little else.
     It is a minute after midnight.  In two days' time it will be the third of November.  Two more days.  Am I there yet?


My Thoughts:

Sharon Bolton is one of my favorite authors. I have read each of her Lacey Flint books and loved them. LITTLE BLACK LIES is a standalone and quite different from the Flint series. Set in the Falkland Islands, this is the tale of missing children, friends who are no longer friends, sorrow, secrets - so many secrets. Told from the viewpoints of three main characters, Catrin, Callum, and Rachel, I was completely caught up in the story. While I tried to put together the puzzle in my mind and had some success, I was also captivated by the descriptions of the Falklands - the people, the land and sea, the creatures that live there - and the history. Such a sad story, but completely fascinating to me. I have not yet read this author's other standalone books. I'm planning on reading them soon. Highly recommended.


Blurb:

In such a small community as the Falkland Islands, a missing child is unheard of. In such a dangerous landscape it can only be a terrible tragedy, surely...

When another child goes missing, and then a third, it's no longer possible to believe that their deaths were accidental, and the villagers must admit that there is a murderer among them. Even Catrin Quinn, a damaged woman living a reclusive life after the accidental deaths of her own two sons a few years ago, gets involved in the searches and the speculation.

And suddenly, in this wild and beautiful place that generations have called home, no one feels safe and the hysteria begins to rise.

But three islanders—Catrin, her childhood best friend, Rachel, and her ex-lover Callum—are hiding terrible secrets. And they have two things in common: all three of them are grieving, and none of them trust anyone, not even themselves.

5 comments:

  1. I've read all of her Lacey Flint books to date, and I wish there's a new one out soon. I haven't read this standalone though, but I know it'd be great since I've read several good reviews of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I've already mentioned that this is my favorite of all of Bolton's books, but the fact remains. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Lacey Flint series is so good so this book is on my list for sure! Glad it was a great read for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you enjoyed this one as much as I did. It kept me guessing (almost literally) to the last sentence!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thinking this one might be a little too sad for me but I'm intrigued that this is one of your favorite authors. I do want to check on her Lacey Flint series. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!